Shopping for Restaurant Ware in Person...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shopping for Restaurant Ware in Person...

Default Shopping for Restaurant Ware in Person...

Hi All,

I'm new to the RWCN but started collecting about 10 years ago, mainly through ebay then through other sites as mentioned by other collectors here.

I'd like to know about shopping for restaurant ware at estate sales and large antique fairs. Believe it or not, but I haven't done this before, and I figured that it was time for me to attend them. I have a few questions...

What do I look for in an estate sale, i.e. is 'quality' based on the zip code or is it basically hit-and-miss? If I haggle with a seller, how can I do that so we both walk away satisfied? I live in the SF Bay Area, and one seller mentioned the Alameda Antiques Fair (which is coming up this Sunday). Any other popular antiques fairs out there to look for?

Thanks for any advice,

Christine

apPaul is on a cruise but once he's back he could tell you loads about south bay antiquing.
    Visit Ellarslie, the Trenton City Museum: www.ellarslie.org

Visit the Potteries of Trenton Society: www.potteriesoftrentonsociety.org

Admin/Platinum/IDwiki Editor Susan Phillips's Avatar

Paul might pop up ... between buffets.

Moderator/Platinum Member apPaul's Avatar

HI, welcome! I am on a cruise right now and the internet is quite pricey so my reply is going to be quite short for now. My favorite spots were the Capital Flea Market in San Jose, the Oakland flea market at the drive in, the antique stores in San Carlos/Brisbane area, San Jose, Gilroy (where I used to have several of my spaces in co-ops). I also used to frequent the Cow Palace antique show, the other antique shows in the SF area, Petaluma antique fair, Niles antique fair (oh my, this was the BEST - get there early!!!), Benicia, Sacramento and many other areas. start out at the antique stores and start asking about the street fairs and shows. The dealers will tell you everything.

Good luck!
    Paul

Hi all,

Thank you for the heads' up. I've already visited the Internet and wrote down the dates of several of these antique fairs for 2012. BTW, it looks like the Niles antique fair is in August. @apPaul, it's good to know that you're a local.

I'm actually going to the Alameda antique fair this Sunday, so will be on the lookout for - what else - restaurant ware!!

Christine

+ Reply to Thread