Beginning collector question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beginning collector question

Bronze Member

Thanks Dennis, that is really interesting. Off to find a bright light...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    But vitrified china that is not RW feels different from vitrified RW. If it is the heavy chunky vitrified china then certainly it is RW.
    I'd say "mostly".

In the case of Fiesta, the old Fiesta is NOT vitrified, but the post-1986/87 stuff is fully vitrified. with today's Fiesta, there's no difference in the Fiesta sold in a department store to that distributed by HLC's Foodservice Division.

Also, in modern-day china, there's fully-vitrified stuff sold exclusively through restaurant supply houses that's just crap, for want of a better word. If you want quality china, you'd be better off with stoneware that's not fully-vitrified than some of the stuff being sold today as RW.
    David

Visit my Mall store, The (Top) Mark of David!

My Website

David, you are correct. But I was not speaking about current RW. I hardly think of the newer stuff as even being RW when, in fact, it technically is. My bad, but that's how I view it.
    Jackie

It takes me three days just to wake up in the morning.

Bronze Member

Hello all -

I'm still fairly new to the site and have been mostly a 'lurker' - getting used to it all, reading and continuing to learn - I love learning. One of your members asked me to join awhile back after assisting me with a listing I had on eBay. I focus on selling and collecting alot of advertisting and souvenir china/pottery/glassware and this is brilliant resource. I will be posting some pieces for ID Help that I could not locate in the IDWiki - hopefully that info can be added after that.

Regarding this post - I use the internet as a constant source of information on my eBay listings and for research. However, I also have a large library of books and I just purchased this one by Barbara Conroy (thank you for recommending it). There are times when you have no access to a computer on a vacation, on a airplane, when you want to read quietly in bed without the computer and sometimes being able to flip back-and-forth and view the pages and force yourself to remember the info (retention is key) is a great thing.

Here's my 2 cents worth. Having contributed to several books. Values are in flux as are the collectors. Books are a great starting point for learning, but experience and time usually are better. Trying to "buy" for a market is a iffy proposition. The forum here has a wealth of knowledge that no book can match, from contributions from long time collectors/sellers etc. Jackie has done a great job with this site.

+ Reply to Thread